The Orphans of Cathorna
The Rules of Cathorna
Cathorna has few laws (they are in fact called ‘Rules’ rather than laws), and a laissez-faire justice system. Despite rule 19, most punishment and correction is meted by either the perpetrator’s militia squad (for martial matters like not training, cowardice or disobedience) or by their work/cultural group (the miners are strict on this, the farmers less so, the hunters hardly at all). Rule 19 is largely used by individuals who do not believe they are being fairly treated by their peers; it gives them the right to demand their case be heard by the council. Where matters are referred to the council, the punishment is usually more severe. The council will sometimes judge and sentence a wrongdoer if the matter affects all of Cathorna.
1) It is forbidden to harm another villager or guest. It is forbidden to steal from or damage the property of another villager or guest. Law breakers will be doubly repaid in kind.
2) No building without council permission
3) Cows and chickens have right of way west of the Timbal.
4) Gates are locked at sunset. Only recognised villagers may enter after hours. No guests or travellers
5) No tunnelling without council approval
6) Everyone over 18, 30, 80 or 350 trains with the militia
7) Everyone answers militia calls
8) Everyone stands their militia shifts
9) Militia shifts may only be exchanged with permission of the watchmaster. The watchmaster’s word is final
10) All spellcasters must be authorised by the council
11) Casting of mind altering spells within the village is forbidden, except during militia calls. Casting of spells to hide people or things within the village is forbidden, except during militia calls
12) The Timbal is for drinking only. No swimming, washing or dumping
13) Refuse must be thrown into the midden. No metal or stone.
14) The village leader has total authority during militia calls
15) Nobody is to climb Keep Mountain, under pain of expulsion.
16) Nobody is to bring back living things from Beetle Island
17) No pigs east of the pig fence unless carried or in carts
18) Only the council may dispense justice
Back to Main Page